01 January, 2009
today's top story
tragedy was once more averted in gothenburg by the fast thinking of johnny-on-the-spot resident tim jordison. jordison, as readers may remember, was recently credited
with the prevention of a house fire. at approximately 5:30 this morning jordison's morning routine was interrupted by the smell of natural gas and a persistent rushing noise.
after a quick survey of his premises jordison looked outside to discover a car parked against the light post on the opposite corner with the gas meter in the street. he called 911 and asked his sleeping wife if she hadn't wondered about the noise and odor. she replied that it was a holiday and she was asleep. local police responded promptly and notified the gas company, a tow truck, and fire department.
after con-sultation the car was pulled away from the scene to allow utility personnel to assess the situation. it was discovered that the pipe was intact, though broken off below the shut-off valve, and could be plugged until permanent repairs could be made.
neighbors gathered outside to watch the pro-ceedings. our thanks to the gothenburg emergency personnel for their prompt and professional action. and to mr. jordison, whose wife is still lamenting the loss of a holiday sleep-in, for his alert response.
happy new year to all.