13 June, 2010

I wish...

Oh, that the umbrella I could be using right now were planted on a sunny beach!!
It has been a weekend of "emergencies" (read Tim is gone for the weekend)  I have a borrowed dvd stuck in the player.  No TV reception.  No wireless.  The spin cycle on my washer needs to be run several times for each load of laundry....

There are many times when I wonder what my rain gauge reads then realize it will do no good to check it because I haven't emptied it.  Yesterday morning I emptied it.  It was overflowing.  It registers over 6 inches - but it has rained off and on since Thursday (Wednesday?) and I know it hadn't been emptied...so (unfortunately) we can say that over the last several days we have received more than 6 inches of rain.  Friday night three separate lines of storms came through the area breaking branches and dumping  - by other accounts - between 3.5 - 5 inches of rain.  Which would explain the water I sopped out of one corner of my basement Saturday morning.

The four inches of water that I emptied from the rain gauge today would account for the water I sopped out of the basement again this morning. These are, of course,  temporary inconveniences.  My heart aches for the families caught by the storms in Arkansas...

It's still raining.  Tim will be home later this afternoon.  Charlie and I have plenty to occupy our time....

3 comments:

On Second Street said...

oh Mom - what a week! Sorry to hear about all your rain problems. It has been raining non-stop here too. LONG days, but no water in our house so I guess I shouldn't complian.

bethany said...

Oh my goodness...I really hope you've survived!

I get fritzy if I'm alone my TV doesn't get reception for a day...unable to watch TV, DVDs or use wireless? I'd go crazy.

Hoping the last week has been a little easier on you :)

ilona said...

Though most of the technical glitches have been resolved (I still don't have wireless to my laptop) this week has been rather stressful. It helped that the deadline for 2 of the 3 English assignments due yesterday, has been extended, but I spent the week dealing with intrusive people, giving them much, too much, access to my time and space, which is such a drain, and always more frustrating than simply dealing with things that don't work. Thanks for asking.