02 February, 2011

Intrepid

google images
No, I didn't take this photo, but I could have if I'd thought  to take my camera along when I went to the dentist yesterday morning.  And if I'd been willing to roll my window down a fraction...

We've all heard of ladies who lunch, n'est-ce pas?  Well, in Gothenburg they do coffee.  Every morning.  Without fail.  There are actually several overlapping groups who make the doughnut shop on main street their headquarters starting from, oh say 7:30 to 11.  Every morning.  Without fail.  They come.  Some go.  The next few arrive.  All morning.  Every morning.  Without fail.

There are very few things that take me away from home on a day off.  That list dwindles significantly when the weather is less than ideal.  I was only out at 9:15 on a frigid February morning because I had a dentist appointment.  But, when I have to put on presentable clothes on my day off I like to make the most of my outing so I also stopped at the bank and City offices.  At the corner, looking north, I could see the sign on the bank telling me it was -7 degrees.  Let's not even factor in the wind chill from our 30+ mph winds.  Swinging my bundled head the other direction I could see the intrepid ladies of Gothenburg were coffee-ing as usual.  Keep in mind that these women are closer to 80 than 60, can probably still work circles around most of us, and often cause the play button on my private soundtrack to engage:   remember the "Pick-A-Little" song from Meredith Wilson's The Music Man?

No comments: